Welcome to the 24th edition of From V to You, a weekly letter of inspiration, tips, tricks, and behind-the-scenes of how I’m building a business around my personal brand so you can too. If you’ve missed the previous letters, you can always read them here.
Happy Freaking New Year!
Do you get re-energized by the excitement of a new year, a new decade, a new start??
I LOVE the energy that comes with recommitting yourself to your goals and ambitions. I’m also really freaking happy that the kids are both in school, and mommy can get to work 🥳 – gotta keep it real.
It’s been a hard couple of months of stop-and-go momentum through the holidays.
PS. I OFFICIALLY GOT PICKED TO BE ONE OF DEAN GRAZIOSI AND TONY ROBBIN’S CORE SPEAKERS!!! 🤩 If you have no idea what I’m talking about, please click here.
It finally feels like the train is in motion, and there are no stops for the 45 days. I am so FREAKING READY!
Before I turn my back on 2019 forever, I wanted to share what worked and what didn’t work in my pursuit to build my brand, my business, and my impact.
What Worked (and what I highly recommend you do too)
- From V to You Newsletter: Without question, creating this newsletter and writing to you every week has made a massive difference in my connection to those I feel most called to serve. You are constantly on my mind. I’m always thinking of what to share, what to learn, what to give to help you in your pursuits to grow your brand and business. To be so aware of your community on such a consistent basis…it’s a gift and necessity.
- Committing to ONE Strength: I’m saying this with absolute humility but I feel like I have blessed with a variety of strengths: I’m a pretty fast reader, I can remember weird and random facts about famous people from all categories, I’m a freak when it comes to finding good deals, etc. But this year, I went ALL in when it comes to public speaking. I studied in Lambertville, New Jersey at Heroic Public Speaking with Michael and Amy Port, I launched my speaker website, I spoke on countless stages to the most diverse audiences, I gleaned as much knowledge as I could from more experienced speakers, I worked on two NEW 2020 keynote topics with the incredible Tamsen Webster, and I successfully applied and got selected to be a TONY ROBBINS and DEAN GRAZIOSI KBB speaker!! I made the most traction I’ve ever made in one area of my life because I went ALL in.
- I Chased One Rabbit: “The man who chases two rabbits, catches neither.” I couldn’t do both anymore. Running my agency and pursuing my personal branding/speaker efforts. I did that Gemini dance before when I still had my corporate job and my agency was the demanding side-hustle. I hated it. I was torn in two, and in 2019, it was happening again, so I made one of the hardest decisions I’ve ever had to make. I got off the agency owner road, sold my marketing agency in June, and decided to go forward chasing just one rabbit. Six months later and I’m the happiest I’ve ever been!
- I Poured Into My Own Human Capital: No question – this was the year of my own personal development. I hired a speaker coach for the first time, I’ve read more books/listened to more Podcasts than ever before, I attended two personal development conferences by the incredible Rachel Hollis and Brendon Burchard, and I bought Tony Robbins and Dean Graziosi’s Knowledge Business Blueprint course which has absolutely changed my life and the way I look at business, sales, and my future. I filled up my jar so much that it is now pouring over, hopefully, into you and your aspirations. Self-education, specialized knowledge, increased wisdom made ALL the difference in 2019.
What Didn’t (what I’m still trying to figure out)
- Social Media…ugh: It’s just NOT fair – said in my toddler’s voice. How is it fair that you can have over 27,000 followers across your social media accounts, but less than 5% of your people see your posts?! As someone who has both rented and owned real estate in her life, I’m tired of renting from a crappy landlord! These platforms – especially you Instagram – have become so greedy in wanting your advertising dollars that it feels like you have to sell your standards for the likes or pay to be seen with your modestly clothed self. I’m still “playing the game,” but I will forever be EMAIL > SOCIAL. How about that for the decade challenge?? I started my career over 10 years ago as the Email Marketing Manager at Ancestry.com, and I’m still preaching the importance of Email 10 years later. BOOM.
- Listening To Becky…what a B…: Becky is the voice in my head that tells me I’m not good enough, not original enough, not popular enough to make it. I named her – following Rachel Hollis’s advice – and she’s the worst. She’s the one that points out my crooked teeth in the videos I film (mind you I wore braces from 3rd grade to 8th grade and I had to wear headgear to school!). She’s the one that tells me I’m more of an imposter than a marketing expert. She’s the one who tells me there’s too much road to run before I’ll ever see the promised land, aka my lifestyle and financial freedom. She’s a COMPLETE B…. and when I wasn’t strong enough to tune her out, she brought me to tears. So to the Beckys in your life and mine:
That’s right! It’s OUR year. You and me.
2020 is the year we say YES to getting ahead.
Yes to seeing our aspirations go from wanting to having.
Here’s my apple martinelli toast to you my friend:
Cheers to us.
Let’s do this!!